Car audio is different from home audio or professional audio. Crescendo is made for Car Audio and its design philosophies include the following:
- In car, our distance to loudspeaker is only 60 – 100 centimeters, while at home our listening position is not that close. Therefore, car speaker is designed as ‘near-field' speaker while home speaker is designed as ‘far-field' speaker. Both have different design approach and application.
- In car, the speaker is not directly aim toward the listener in order to create realistic imaging and to avoid listening fatigue. This is called ‘off-axis' position. Therefore, the most important judgment for car speaker is ‘OFF-AXIS' frequency response, not ‘ON-AXIS' frequency response.
- In car, the listening room is relatively small. And the consequences are:
- Subwoofer has to be designed with consideration of ‘transfer function' or ‘cabin gain' that boosts low frequency.
- We don't need gigantic amplifier to achieve desired ‘headroom'.
- In car, audio equipment is subject to unpleasant weather (direct sunlight, rain, high humidity). Therefore, car audio equipment needs to have extra endurance and durability.
“MUSIC MAYBE ART AND AUDIO MAYBE ENGINEERING BUT SOMETIMES, IF WE ARE VERY LUCKY, THE COMBINATION COULD BE MAGIC”